Small businesses and enterprises alike can enjoy enormous gains by implementing managed print services (MPS) solutions in their offices. Most executive decision-makers are only vaguely aware of the potential benefits to be enjoyed through these types of services, however. Only through proper assessment of the office print environment can these gains can be fully calculated.
MPS solutions can produce savings of between 10% and 30% of the typical non-managed ownership solution. When combined with resource-saving optimization and extra investment, assessments can reveal additional savings on the order of 20% to 30%, according to SmartPrint.
What Do Print Assessments Reveal?
Most business owners are unaware of exactly how many printers they have or the number of pages being printed at their offices every day, week, or month. The print assessment monitors printing over a period of time to determine these figures. Then, conclusions are drawn about ways to make printing processes more efficient.
Assessments produce reports on the following data:
- The actual number of print devices in the organization.
- The ratio of print volume to each individual device.
- Redundant print devices, if any.
- The relationship between print supplies and usage, and amount of expired or obsolete consumables in stock.
- What types of documents employees are printing, scanning, and copying.
- The total cost of owning the print devices in the organization.
Of these, the most important figure is the total cost of ownership (TCO). This figure points to the actual cash cost of owning your own printing equipment and using it on a daily basis. This establishes the baseline for any investment or modification of printing capabilities.
How Managed Print Services (MPS) Providers Use the Data
With the TCO calculated, the MPS provider can now develop a customized solution to meet the demands of the office print environment in a more efficient manner. The assessment points out the key inefficiencies that need to be solved for a switch to MPS to represent value.
In most cases, the assessment will reveal that the actual number of print devices used in the organization is higher than expected. Even small business owners can be surprised by the number of printers purchased – every supervisor and manager usually wants their own, and these requests generally are met with little resistance.
This leads to a situation where the ratio between print volume and individual devices is quite low. In most office environments, a small group of printers performs the lion’s share of daily printing tasks – the rest spend most of their time in standby.
MPS providers use this data to suggest optimization and consolidation strategies that address usage trends and eliminate waste, such as:
- Individual devices may be switched with one another in order to use the most cost-effective devices in the most high-volume departments.
- Certain printers may be eliminated entirely if they produce printing and imaging costs above the office average.
- Color printers can be delegated exclusively to personnel who need color prints, such as for marketing or other public-facing departments.
- Key partnerships may be suggested, such as incorporating cost-reducing post meters through FP Mailing Solutions in the mailroom.
With assessment data in-hand and a suggested plan of action, MPS providers can begin proactively identifying workplace synergies and integrations. These can result in even greater savings as office waste is phased out and inefficient processes are updated.
Usually, the best opportunity to implement these additional integrations is when servicing hardware incidents. MPS providers are responsible for maintaining the entire printer fleet, and can use broken or malfunctioning equipment as an opportunity to integrate better, more advanced office printing solutions.
MPS providers will also schedule regular meetings with clients – either once every quarter or twice a year – and use this opportunity to suggest greater improvements to office efficiency. At that point, the assessment process is happening constantly behind the scenes. The MPS provider collects data on printer usage and adjusts the service to match client needs.
Donnellon McCarthy Enterprises is an MPS provider and printing system integration consultancy that specializes in eliminating office waste. Enjoy an assessment of your print environment by calling one of our office efficiency specialists today.